Okay, it's now into the first full week of December, so it's okay to start talking Christmas/holiday stuff. This meme's been around for a few years and I think I've done it a time or two before.
- Make a post (public, friends locked, filtered...whatever you're comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a Snape/Hermione icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
- If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you.
- Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ so that the holiday joy will spread.
- Surf around your friendslist (or friends friends, or just random journals, or holiday_wishes) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
- If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free--do it.
You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf--to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not--it's your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just...wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.
My first three Wishes are for Big Things, very big and two of them not necessarily something you can just GIVE someone unless you happen to be just the right person in just the right position. The second three are for moderately large things but not ones that run into the realm of "okay, if Bill Gates is your friend"; the last four are much more reasonable wishes for the holiday season. All of them are pretty much wishing for things that improve my life because things that improve mine -- whether in a huge way or a little way -- improve that of my family, which is the main thing I'm responsible for in the end analysis.
Contacting me with regards to any of these is easy: just send me a message via LiveJournal; I get notified when someone sends me a message and I check them very quickly.
1) The resources to keep myself and my family comfortable for life, including covering things like sending four kids to college and still being able to live out a very nice comfortable retirement. Yes, that's a lot, but hey, if I'm going to wish big, I might as well wish BIG. Some of the other wishes *could* end up with this as a result; this is the selection for that billionaire who happens to have read Grand Central Arena and is struck by immense generosity to write me a ten million dollar check. :)
2) A good agent for my book properties (and their associated rights, or at least with contacts to take care of those). I'm not, of course, sitting here just wishing; I sent out another query this week. But -- despite the impression I was given at the beginning of my career -- it is clear that just selling several novels is not, in itself, sufficient to get you an agent.
3) Someone with the interest, resources and access to talents necessary to make a high-quality film, miniseries, series, or videogame from one of my books. I have already had one query about the rights for both GCA and Threshold, but currently moving forward on that is on ice because the querent's backers are cautious and looking at more... certain properties. I could do a lot of the writing, but the rest I can't handle.
4) A chance to publicize/plug my stuff to larger audiences (i.e, the huge sites like Slashdot, a national TV program, etc.). While this could of course potentially lead to huge things, this one isn't by itself that expensive for whoever might be the opportunity; it's just a matter of choosing to give me the time/exposure rather than any of the thousands of other people who might be there.
5) A good trailer/video with sound, etc., for one of my books (most likely GCA). Some of my fans (hi Keith, Mary!) already helped immensely, but my own lack of resources and experience means that I couldn't take it to the top level; I could put together something not entirely embarrassing, but no more; alternatively, the chance to make an inexpensive indy-film type version of one of the Jason Wood stories (this would be, I'd guess, in the tens of thousands of dollars range. Way, way out of my current league, but orders of magnitude smaller than my first three choices in terms of value or difficulty).
6) A good full-sized entertainment center with all modern capabilities. This would include new sound system, a really big screen, integrate my PS3 with it, play all media, and of course come with a new appropriate piece of furniture to support it all, as the current one couldn't handle the size. :)
MORE REASONABLE STUFF:
7) Pictures of my characters, worlds, devices, creatures, etc. I'm no artist and I can't draw for crap. Nothing makes me happier than seeing other people's visions of my stuff or working with someone to bring the vision in my head to life. I've been blessed with several people who have already done this for several things (Keith Morrison for both the Boundary series and Grand Central Arena ships, Mary Dell for the personnel of the Holy Grail, and Lexomatic has been working on doing versions of the aliens from GCA), and this is the kind of thing I always loved. From my published works, I would love images of Virigar, the Maelkodan, and Verne Domingo (Digital Knight), the scene of Jodi confronting the Magon, a good picture of Rokhaset of the Nowethada (Diamonds Are Forever), and many different scenes/events/characters in Grand Central Arena. My unpublished material is of course a bit harder to manage since a limited number of people have seen it, but I'd love a good picture of Poplock Duckweed, Kyri Vantage, or Tobimar Silverun from Fall of Saints, Guvthor, Vick, The Eonwyl, and Sasham from Demons of the Past, and Polychrome, Erik Medon, The Penitent, Ugu, Amanita, Iris, or Zenga from Polychrome.
8) The Six Million Dollar Man. I've got the first two seasons that I got from import, but I'd LOVE the full, official release. If no one gets it for me I will most certainly be getting it for myself when I can afford it.
9) Neat Kitchen Implements, specifically a "mandolin" for making thin slices, a good bread machine, a bread slicer, etc. Eventually I also have to get a bigger, new KitchenAid mixer (no other brands need apply.
10) Anything on my Amazon Wish List.
There you have it. Now, all you billionaires who read my journal in secret... :)