Music Meme -- taken from marydell
1. If you'd like to play along, reply to this post and I'll assign you a letter.
2. You then list (and upload or link to the video, if you feel like it) 5 songs that start with that letter.
3. Then, as I'm doing here, you'll post the list to your journal with the instructions. Easy peasy!
My letter is "S."
Under the Cut...
1) Spirit VS Spirit (Unmei no Hi, "Day of Destiny"): From Dragonball Z, originally played in the series at the point where Son Gohan, taunted by Cell while Cell beat the living crap out of his friends, finally snaps and goes second-stage Super Saiyajin (and then proceeds to beat Cell like a drum). This is a link to a very good DBZ music video which showcases Gohan in everything from his very first power-burst as a three year old child, all the way to his battles against Buroli and Majin Buu.
2) Stardust Eyes: First opening theme from Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (AKA "Ronin Warriors" in the USA), this is a strangely haunting piece of music. Some of the original imagery was very good as well. Don't, for the sake of your sanity, try to make sense of the lyrics, though. This AMV has the long version of the song and some good clips from the show.
3) Staff Credit, Final Fantasy Tactics: This tactics-based RPG featured one of the first and still impressive opening videos ever, and included some absolutely stunning music. This is possibly the best cut of all, the finale music after youv'e beaten the game and the credits roll. Here's the music on YouTube -- nothing but the cover image though, no video.
4) Saving Metroville: From The Incredibles, the grand finale battle against Syndrome's final-version Omnidroid. A marvelous bit of work by Giacchino, crossing James Bond with superhero musical approaches and an individual riff for each character. Here's the music, again just one image, no video.
5) Sephiroth (One-Winged Angel): Sephiroth himself is actually a total wanker loser of a character, but he does have a hell of a theme and some cool imagery. This video gives you both.
6) Space Adventurer Cobra OP: Imagine a space opera future in which the 1970s Disco Era had taken over and James Bond wrote the scripts, and you have Cobra. Originally a pirate (apparently of the "noble pirate" subtype), Cobra got tired of notoriety and of being hunted by rivals and others after his secrets, and had his face changed and even his memory erased. But something triggers his memory, and then his enemies catch up. As you can see in this AMV, one unique aspect of Cobra was that when he had his face redone -- he made himself (comparatively) homely; his original appearance was a blue-lavender haired adult bishonen.
7) Schala: The sister of the Magus in Chrono Trigger, Schala is the most tragic figure in the game, and her loss is what drives Magus to his extremity. Here is the music, from the original CT soundtrack; there have been orchestral versions as well.
8) Silent The Universe: The opening theme from Star Ocean 2: The Second Story, this both haunting and triumphant piece of music never fails to send a chill down my spine. The actual opening was stunning for its day and includes one of the most kickass ships ever animated.
I had a hard time choosing which ones I wanted; I could have done another ten easily.